A world wide selection of countries can be made on Lambertus' garmin.openstreetmap.nl (light version only):
Another service that provides world wide maps is https://extract.bbbike.org/ provided by Wolfram Schneider
- Choose map type; the routable bicycle is the Openfietsmap (Lite).
- After you have selected the map type,
you can either choose a predefined country or make a manual selection
for a (limited) region.
Fill in a valid e-mail address to request your map. Sometimes a direct download
button will appear if someone else recently has 'ordered' the same
- After a while you will receive the link to a download page by e-mail. On this site you can choose several file formats to download (Windows, Mac OSX (gmap), a GPS version (gmapsupp.img) and a zip file with the individual tiles without installer (Linux).
- More detailed instructions can be found in this tutorial
- Update frequency ~ once a month (varies)
- Customizable area can be chosen
- Output formats are in Ascii or unicode (UTF-8)
- weekly updates from the OSM database
- Contour layer (40m) available